My First Time...in WAR APOC

Think you can be objective and promote a selfless idea on how to improve the game for everyone, pitch it to us in detail here

Moderators: The Great Unclean One, Staff

Wiliestrogue

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:40 am

Quick list of suggestions in case you don't want to read or don't appreciate my attempt at humor:

1. Update Getting Started page to reflect that players will need to create separate accounts for the server and forums.

2. If there are "Best Options" for video settings in WAR place a section in the Getting Started page.

3. Would love to see a detailed description of each class and class play-style on the website (not just the forums) to help players new to WAR.

4. IMPORTANT: Would love to see a detailed description of each addon with commands, a list of what addons benefit each class, and a list of what are considered the absolutely necessary addons on the Getting Started Page. The addon barrage on first login will scare away all but the most diehard and experienced MMO players. I personally love that they are included with the game download, but right now...that's a scary mess. New players will be totally lost.

5. If you are going to stick with the auto lvl to 40 potion (again...I absolutely hate this, but understand why it's here) it would be really cool if the Book of Binding was just bound to the main city right from the start. If you are planning on removing/changing the lvl 40 potion at some point then ignore this suggestion. It's not a big deal.

From time to time I'm going to pop on here and offer my 2-cents. I will try to offer the perspective of someone who hasn't really played WAR since original release (me), and the perspective of a new player who hasn't ever touched WAR. I think it's important to try to attract new players as well as old ones.

My background. I was top/main healer for the guild that basically destroyed 2 official WAR servers and moved to a 3rd before we finally moved on to another game. Yes, the guild I was in helped ruin WAR, but we also tried to help by talking to the devs, offering suggestions and feedback on known problems, and even helping the opposite faction organize to oppose us. I won't name the guild or my character. I just wanted you to know that I used to be hardcore (really hardcore...like, no life hardcore) and I may be able to help down the road as my memory of things returns through play. It's been a long time. Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WILIESTROGUE WAR STARTUP CHECKLIST:

Ok!

1. Post my WAR vision opinion on the forums that nobody will probably read. CHECK!

2. Download and install the launcher and game. No issues when following the very clear instructions! CHECK!

3. Super Bowl snack and beer supply ready. CHECK!

4. Log into game...(ERROR), log into game...(ERROR), why isn't this working! Oh...it's a different Username and Password for Server and Forums (This is not clear in the starting instructions). Create account on launcher...Log into game. CHECK!

5. Watch incredibly cool cinematic for WAR. (I'm SO pumped right now) CHECK!

6. Select server. Easy...there's only one. I like that it's based in America...less ping. CHECK!

7. Adjust video settings to my liking. (Wish there was a blurb on the Getting Started page with any known optimization problems, or suggestions for best performance.) CHECK!

8. (I now proceed to spend the next hour making characters because that's what we MMO players love to do, play dress-up with our online dolls...lol.) CHECK!

9. (I now proceed to spend the next hour trying to decide what class to play, because that's what we MMO players love to do, online research and min-max the hell out things...lol.) CHECK!

10. Click Play. SOOOO EXCITED! CHECK!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
ADDON BARRAGE!!!
UI WEIRD!!!
DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!
WHAT DO I DO!!!
FEELING FEINT, NEED CHICKEN SOUP!!!

11. Turned off all addons and started to explore. As an experienced MMO player I get the need and convenience of including them in the download. A new player to MMOs or WAR will be totally lost. Probably to the point of leaving. There needs to be some warning, tutorial, and descriptions on the Getting started page.

12. Watched boring Super Bowl with awful half-time show...drank beer, thought about WAR the whole time. Might need help...
Wiliestrogue

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:49 am

Sorry!

I don't want anybody to think I'm just some bitchy player. Just trying to help. I know it's a HUGE project.

I love you guys for starting this server!

No really...I love you guys.

Seriously...the love is real.

:D
Subtlemind

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:22 pm

I think these are all top notch suggestions.
Rapkour

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:29 pm

Hello!

I'm a new player in the server and in WAR itself, not new to MMO though. There are a couple of points in this post that are totally what happened to me.
Wiliestrogue wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:40 am
4. Log into game...(ERROR), log into game...(ERROR), why isn't this working! Oh...it's a different Username and Password for Server and Forums (This is not clear in the starting instructions). Create account on launcher...Log into game. CHECK!

11. Turned off all addons and started to explore. As an experienced MMO player I get the need and convenience of including them in the download. A new player to MMOs or WAR will be totally lost. Probably to the point of leaving. There needs to be some warning, tutorial, and descriptions on the Getting started page.
Point 4. was solved easily once I opened the launcher, but I've spent like 10 minutes while it was extracting looking around the website to see where to create an account aside from the forum, since the forum one didn't say anything about working for the game itself.

About point 11... my god, it was a nightmare. I've been a lot of time trying to figure out how to mess with the layout editor, there are tons of things in there and I dont know what is what. Have managed to leave a somewhat clean UI but some stuff pops out of nowhere from time to time. Also, I want to edit the Obsidian Cast Bar to not show the icon of the skill but I haven't been able to find where to edit it. I'm having another issue regarding the action bar number 3, since it only appears when i hover my mouse over it and I don't know where to go to change it.

EDIT: Finally found the addon that was causing the action bar to appear on hover, named HideBar. I tried to disable it but now the bar is hidden permanently and no matter what setting I set for it.. it won't show. The only way that shows is having 3 bars or 5, but using 4 bars (like I do), it doesn't appear.

I know it's a lot load of work, but it would be nice to have some kind of guidelines or walkthrough for the addons, I was totally confused when I logged in.

Thank you for all the effort with the server! I said I'm new to the game but I actually played years ago when it launched, only got to level 20 or so since only could play the free month that came with the game but i really loved it. When I wanted (and could afford) to play it again I found out it got closed so it was really a shame, glad to see it survived through.

Best regards.